Hardware Configuration & Requirements
- Network Server Running Windows 2000 Server (or newer) w/ appropriate client licenses, IIS, SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition*. The server requirements are listed below.
Processor Speed – 2.0 GHz or greater (dual processors not required)
Memory – 2 GB or greater (4x512MB or 2x1GB)
CD Rom – Standard 24x or greater CD Rom drive
Storage – 200 gigabytes of memory or more on two separate hard drives.
First Drive with 120 gb or more for Database storage.
Second Drive with 80 or more for Documents and Images and VISCO Chem Application.
SQL Server Standard Edition (per processor). We recommend purchasing per
processor licenses in order to avoid session constraints.
SQL Server should be configured for mixed mode authentication
- Standard Client-Server Network infrastructure.
- Client-Side Internet Explorer 6.0 installation.
- We suggest running the application and the database on the same server for two specific reasons:
a. Gains in overall performance can be realized, as transfer time from application datasets to SQL Server
data tables is limited in a single-server environment.
b. The benefits of SQL Server stored procedures are not as obvious in .Net as they were in previous programming languages. The design of .Net architecture, incorporated with an extensive use of datasets within the Venture Information System application, makes the functionality of SQL stored procedures less necessary.
Therefore, instead of a separate server running SQL and SQL stored procedures, an additional need must be placed on the single server memory, to accommodate for the intense use of .Net datasets within the application.
- The VISCO Chem Application Server must be configured using Internet Information Services so that Web Access is enabled through a standard firewall system for internet access of the VIS application. This can be handled by a VISCO Chem Installation specialist or can be set-up internally prior to installation.
- A UPS Power Supply is strongly recommended and can be purchased through Dell, Compaq or nearly any other hardware provider for between $300 and $1000 (as of 4/07).
- Archiving and Backups can be done through an external HD, Tape Backup System, or even a Zip Drive. During initial implementation, VISCO Chem does configure for a daily SQL Server backup locally with data archived for no longer than a week. This is only for the active VISCO Chem Database. If the location of your database is changed, notify VISCO Chem in order that it might be re-pointed. VISCO Chem does not institute any backup polices for VISCO Chem documents unless specifically requested.
It is the responsibility of VISCO Chem customer's own internal or outsourced IT to maintain a comprehensive server backup system which includes all VISCO Chem data components. Further, VISCO Chem is not responsible in the event of backup system failure. Contact your Internal or Outsourced IT department to configure a robust backup system.
- Additional Server Add-On Components such as Tape Backup, Monitor, Media Bays (external HD), Audio, Additional Network Cards and Printers are by choice and VISCO offers no official suggestions on such purchases.
Client Workstation Requirements
- 700 MHz processor
- 256 MB RAM
- 300 MB Hard Drive space
- 10/100 Network interface card
- Active Internet Connection (Web-hosted version only)
- Internet Explorer 6.0
- Microsoft Office 2000 or newer (2003 recommended)